Come April 2006 Coleman will release their new Fyrestorm Ti stove. The Fyrestorm represents a new line of multi-fuel stoves. The Fyrestorm is capable of burning liquid fuels as well as standard threaded butane/propane pressurized canister fuel. This opens up many options for the backcountry user that were not available before. Liquid fuels including Coleman fuel and unleaded gas are readily available and consistently reliable even in the coldest conditions. Canister fuels provide simplicity of operation since no priming is necessary, work under a broad range of conditions, and are fairly common. The user of the Fyrestorm can select which type of fuel (or bring all the stove components for both) is best suited to his or her needs. In many ways the Fyrestorm can be thought of as the stove for all seasons and as a jack of all trades.
The Coleman Fyrestorm Ti stove with a standard fuel canister attached.
- The Fyrestorm Ti stove weighs 8 ounces. The pump unit for pressurizing liquid fuels weighs 3 ounces. The canister fuel adapter weighs 3.8 ounces.
- The Fyrestorm SS is slightly heavier. The stove weighs 10.1 ounces. The pump unit and canister adapater weigh the same as those noted above.
- The Fyrestorm will burn Coleman fuel, unleadded gas, and canister stove fuel. Coleman recommends using their canister fuel. The stove will attach to most Lindal-valve backpacking fuel canisters though performance may vary.
- 14,000 BTU output with canister fuel; 10,000 with liquid fuel
- Boil times for 1 liter of water are 3 minutes, 10 seconds for canister fuel and 3 minutes, 45 seconds for liquid fuel.
- Burn times are 45 minutes for canister fuel and 75 minutes for liquid fuel, at full throttle.
- MSRP for the Fyrestorm Ti stove is $189.99; for the Fyrestorm SS $149.99 (available in April 2006).