That’s right, a backpack from Big Sky International. The new Shadow Pack, available in spring 2008, is a 4000 cubic inch (65 L) internal frame pack weighing just 2 pounds 15 ounces. The distinctive features that set it apart (besides its light weight) are its durable Dimension Polyant VX21 fabric, top and panel access, and well-padded suspension system. The full feature set is listed below.
Big Sky’s new Shadow backpack hits the sweet spot for lightweight backpacking with a simple internal frame (two vertical aluminum stays) and 4000 cubic inch volume. The fabric is Dimension Polyant VX21, which is very durable. The backpanel side (right) of the pack shows its well padded suspension system and optional hipbelt pouch. The hipbelt is a full 5.5 inches high and well padded; shoulder straps are 3 inches wide.
The Dimension Polyant VX21 used is a sophisticated three-layer fabric, consisting of a strong abrasion-resistant nylon face fabric, a diamond pattern of reinforcing polyester threads (visible in the pictures), a layer of permanent adhesive, a layer of non-stretch mylar film, another layer of adhesive, and finally a layer of light fabric on the inside surface to protect the mylar film. The outer face has a good DWR treatment as well. The fabric, which weighs 204 grams/square meter, is essentially utterly waterproof, although seams can leak through the needle holes.
Features and Specifications
- Manufacturer: Big Sky International
- Model: Shadow
- Volume: 4000 cubic inches (65 L)
- Fabrics: Body is Dimension Polyant VX21 (204 gsm)
- Features: Top and panel access, expandable mesh front pocket with cradle, two stretch nylon side pockets, internal hydration sleeve with two hose ports, large extension collar, rolltop closure with zipper and two top compression straps, two compression straps on each side and three on the front, two ice axe loops, bear canister compatible
- Weight: 2 pounds 15 ounces
- Sizes: One size
- Options: Velcro attached hipbelt pouches in different sizes, lumbar pack that can be carried in the front pocket
- MSRP: $200