The Jacks ‘R’ Better Nest is a rectangular quilt with a slit and Omnitape strips that attach directly to Hennessy hammocks.
The Jacks ‘R’ Better Nest is an under quilt for use with Hennessy hammocks. It is similar to the No Sniveler quilt that ranked first in the BackpackingLight Unconventional Sleep Systems Review Summary. Unlike the No Sniveler, though, the Nest has a ½ length vertical opening with Omnitape fasteners. These hook and loop fasteners align with the Velcro entrances of the Hennessy Ultralight Backpacker and Hyperlight Backpacker, making it easy to enter and exit the hammock when using the Nest as an under quilt. While the hammock entrance no longer seals with Velcro when using the Nest in this way, the weight of the user secures the entrance firmly. A JRB Suspension System which includes elastic cords and mini-carabiners for attachment to the ends of the hammock and loops are aligned for use with Hennessy side guyouts.
The Omnitape fasteners attach directly to the Hennessy Hyperlight Backpacker Asym, making it an integrated part of the hammock system.
The Nest is constructed with a 1.1 ounce rip-stop nylon shell with DWR treatment and 800+ fill power down. While the manufacturer claims 2 inches of loft, I measured a full 2.5 inches.
A JRB Suspension System is included with the Nest for attachment to the ends of a hammock. Also shown here is the Jacks ‘R’ Better Weather Shield for extra wet weather protection (not included).
Besides its use a dedicated under quilt, the Nest can also be worn as a vest by wrapping it around your body. It also has Omnitape strips to form a footbox for use as an top quilt. Drawcords at the foot and neck allow for adjustability when used as an under quilt as well as to create a footbox and neck collar when using it as a top quilt.
The Nest is available on its own or as a part of the Jacks ‘R’ Better Basic 3 Season and Ultimate 4 Season Hammock Quilt Sets. Like other Jacks ‘R’ Better products, the Nest is available only with a kelly green outer and black interior.
Look for a full review of the Jacks ‘R’ Better Ultimate 4 Season Hammock Quilt Set in late winter.
Features and Specifications
- Weight (long): 21.9 oz (621 g); mfr claimed 20 oz (567 g)
- Size (measured): 46 in x 73 in (117 cm x 185 cm); mfr claimed 48 in x 78 in (122 cm x 198 cm)
- Materials: 1.1 ounce rip-stop nylon with DWR treatment, no-see-um netting used in box baffles
- Insulation: 800+ fill power down
- Loft: 2.5 in of single layer loft (mfr claimed 2 in)
- Features: 3 under quilt attachment points, neck drawstring with dual sliders, foot drawstring with dual sliders, Omnitape hammock entrance attachment
- Accessories: silnylon compression stuff sack: 1.3 oz (31 g) included, JRB Suspension System available for hammock under-quilt use: 1.1 oz (37 g) included
- MSRP: $239.95